Question for you: what gets your award for most memorable scene in Bridget Jones Diary?
- Bridget + Mark Darcy awkwardly connect while eyeing each other’s themed jumpers
- Bridget’s almost-full-mooning of the viewing public whilst sliding down a firehouse pole
- Bridget inconveniently dyeing her soup blue for her house party (Classic Bridge.)
For me – it’s the moment she opts to wear granny panties to the fancy company function only to have them discovered later on by the bad boy we all hate to love … Daniel Cleaver.
But really – why do we love Bridget Jones so much?
Well, there isn’t anyone quite like her, yet she’s certainly someone we all relate to. Even though she was a fictional character, she was REAL.
Her wobbly bits, her ill-fitting skirts, her foul mouth, her hilarity, her inability to carry on a conversation without mucking it up in the best way possible makes her lovable.
And that’s what your customers want your brand to be, too. Lovable. Real. Relatable.
“It turns out that what consumers most want from brands is honest communication about products and services.” – Literally Every Survey on Marketing, Ever
Your customers want authenticity (in addition to problem solving) – and in order for them to view you as an authentic brand, you have to be hitting the following notes consistently:
So, my challenge for you is two-fold:
1. Take down any existing content for your brand that doesn’t embody elements of this list.
2. Keep this list handy as you create + plan your new content – especially your social plans.
It’s not rocket science, but it does take work.
If you get stuck + need ideas, technology makes it real easy for the two of us to connect nowadays.